Skip to content

Woman Leaves Phone At Trion Store; Man Slips In For The Steal

A Summerville woman said someone stole her cellphone while shopping in the local Walmart on May 1, according to a Chattooga County Sheriff’s report.

Sarah Pollard was using the self-checkout to pay for her groceries. She laid her cellphone on top of a small refrigerator while scanning items. She forgot to grab her cellphone before leaving. A clerk said the phone was turned over to the lost and found department. An unknown man, however, claimed the phone.

Pollard stated she returned to Wal Mart about thirty minutes after she left, and asked the lady working the self-checkout if anyone had turned in a phone. Ms. Pollard stated that someone
did, but a man had already claimed it. Ms. Pollard stated that her phone was an LG, but did not know the model. Ms. Pollard stated the screen was cracked, and the back of the phone was brown,” Deputy William Blackmon reported.

Deputies looked at the store’s surveillance camera and spotted an older man taking the phone. The older man left in a Chevrolet Silverado, according to Deputy Blackmon.

I then observed an older white male subject wearing camouflage pants, camouflage bandana, and a black shirt come into the store and go to the self-checkout register. The male then spoke with the female working the register, who then gave him the phone belonging to Ms. Pollard. The male then exited the store and got into a gold Chevrolet Silverado leaving the scene. I then spoke with the female who was working the register that day, who stated that someone had turned a phone into her, and she put it at her register. The female stated that the male in question came in a short time later and stated he had lost his phone. She then stated she showed him the phone, and he stated that it belonged to him. She stated she gave him the phone, and he left the store. She then stated a short time after that Ms. Pollard came in looking for her phone, and she told her that someone had already claimed it. The male subject was not identified at the time of the incident.”