Local volunteer firemen were dispatched to a house fire at 6970 Hwy. 114 on Wednesday afternoon, according to a Chattooga County Sheriff’s report.
“Upon arrival, I could see smoke coming from the house and shortly after getting out of my patrol vehicle I saw flames coming from the back part of the house. I then spoke with the homeowner, Mary Pickle. She stated she was sitting in her den eating when she heard a popping sound coming from the utility room. Ms. Pickle stated when she turned and looked, she saw that the breaker box was on fire and that is when she called 911,” according to Deputy Derek Mitchell.