By GENE ESPY
The possibility of going up on out-of-district tuition fees was discussed by the Trion Board of Education Monday night.
The present fee is currently $150 per year. Supt. Phil Williams told the board that Chickamauga’s fee is $800 and Dalton’s out-of-district fee is $1,550.
No decision was made although Supt. Williams said the board decided if they did go up it wouldn’t take effect until the 2020-2021 school year.
“I feel like if we do go up, it will be $50,” he added.
The board elected its new chairman and vice chair for the 2019 fiscal year. Randy Henderson was named chairman and Kari Brown was named Vice Chair.
The board approved the systems financial statements for December.
The documents showed that with 50 percent of the fiscal year completed, the system had received 49.02 percent of its budgeted revenues and had made 50.36 percent of its budgeted expenditures.
The fund equity was $3,239,828.39, which includes $1-million assigned for capital projects.
The board also approved the school nutrition financial report, SPLOST financial report and the General Fund Obligation Bond Series report.
In other business the board:
* Heard the Band Boosters financial report;
* Heard the Bulldog Athletic Club financial report;
* Heard the system attendance report;
* Heard the fundraising projects approved by the superintendent;
* Heard a presentation from FCCLA student Kristen Hankins;
* Presented a plaque to retiring food service employee of 34 years, Mrs. Patti Staton.
In personnel action, the board:
* Approved the retirement of elementary school teacher John Chance;
* Approved the retirement of high school teacher Joe McCoy;
* Approved the retirement of elementary school teacher Monna O’Kelley;
* Approved the employment of Vivian Hurley as a substitute teacher;
* Approved the employment of Loren Gibson as a substitute in food service;
* Approved the employment of Johnny Brown as a substitute custodian.