The Chattooga County School System is participating in the Summer Food Service program again this year. Meals will be provided to all children without charge. This program serves free meals to all children under the age of 18 during June and July. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service.
All of the sites began Wednesday.
Meals will be provided at the following sites and times:
* Berryton Baptist Church, 11:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
* Chattooga County Health Dept. – Mondays, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
* Chattooga County Health Dept. – Thursdays, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* Chattooga High School – Breakfast, 8:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.; Lunch, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
* Church of Christ, Trion, 11:55 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
* Devonwood Apts., 11 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
* Dowdy Park, 10:35 a.m. to 12:35 p.m.
* East Trion Church of God, 11:30 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
* Fairway Recreation Center, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
* Fellowship Baptist Church, 12:25 p.m. to 12:40 p.m.
* Fields Walk-Carol Drive, 1:11 p.m. to 1:31 p.m.
* Fields Walk-Glen Drive, 12:50 p.m. to 1:10 p.m.
* Fields Walk-Kay Drive, 1:32 p.m. to 1:52 p.m.
* First Born Church, 1 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
* Lake Wanda Reita Apts., Noon to 12:15 p.m.
* Lyerly Park, 11:45 a.m. to Noon.
* Maplewood Apts., 12:20 p.m. to 12:40 p.m.
* McGinnis Circle, 10:35 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
* Northern Heights Circle, 12:45 p.m. to 1 p.m.
* Pennville Baptist Church, 10:40 a.m. to 10:55 a.m.
* Summerville Gardens Apts., 12:15 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
* Summerville Recreation Center, 11 a.m. to noon.
The school system is looking for individuals or church, civic and community groups that would volunteer to manage and/or provide a site. The sites may be vacation bible schools, or other places that children may gather in the summer.
Each site can be managed by one to two people for as little as an hour or less a day. Site volunteers will be required to attend a short training session which will teach volunteers their three main duties:
* Ensure that only children receive meals.
* Keep record of the meals that are served on provided form.
* Monitor simple food safety procedures.
Call Kelly Floyd at 706-859-3052 for a training appointment or for details about the program. Only one training session is required.
The School Nutrition Program will prepare all meals and transport to as many sites as possible. Transportation volunteers are also welcome.
For details you can also call Sherri Whitlock at 706-857-7229.