A special 100th anniversary birthday celebration was held during the event in honor of the Summerville Depot on Saturday.
More than 50 specialty, retail, craft, and food vendors from Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama were on hand selling al kinds of items, as well as a Kids Zone with inflatables and bungee jump.
Birthday cake was served in recognition of the 100th anniversary celebration of the Depot. The original Summerville Depot was constructed in 1889 and served the Chattanooga, Rome, and Columbus Railroad that was built to Lyerly, Summerville, and Trion. The railroad was merged into the Central of Georgia system in 1901. However, the depot burned on two occasions. The current depot was constructed in 1918 and was a fully operating depot until the 50’s.
The Summerville Depot was preserved as a historic site and was placed on the National Historic Register of Historical Places in 1992. It currently serves as headquarters for the Chattooga County Historical Society and plays host to monthly Summerville Main Street events, as the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum steam excursion trains arrive from Chattanooga. The depot has also been featured in several television movies.