During a discussion on approving the CTAE budget, Trion School Superintendent Phil Williams talked about constructing a building for nursing classes and a Criminal Justice pathway use where the police station was originally going to be erected at the school. The building would be funded if the SPLOST is extended.
“Beside the bus barn where the police station was going to be built would be a great place for a building that would be for two things,” Supt. Williams told the board. “It would be an area to train nurses and also cut a part of that building into a designated training for police officers and correctional officers.”
The superintendent said the classes would be something around here for training where police officers and correctional officers are needed.
“Criminal justice would be a good pathway for our students,” Supt. Williams said.
Responding to a question about a grant for the nursing part of the CTAE program, Supt. Williams said, “When it gets time to approve the extension of the SPLOST, that building would be a big part of it for us. That would be the final thing that we would need up there at the school.”
In other business, the board:
* Approved a revision to JCDA Student Drug testing policy;
* Heard financial report of Bulldog Athletic Club;
* Heard Band Boosters financial report;
* Heard system enrollment report;
* Approved General Fund Obligation Bond series report;
* Approved SPLOST financial report;
* Approved 2019-2020 CTAE Budget;
* Approved FCCL overnight field trip Sept. 12-14;
* Approved local board training plan.
In personnel action, the board:
* Approved the resignation of Steve Gladney, in maintenance;
* Approved the resignation of Nancy Grogan in food service;
* Approved the resignation of Krysten Farrow as an elementary paraprofessional;
* Approved the employment of Emily Parker as an elementary paraprofessional;
* Approved the employment of Stephanie Cargle as a food service employee;
* Approved the employment of Lisa Hall as a substitute teacher;
* Approved the employment of Amanda Cheree King as a substitute teacher;
* Approved the employment of Angeline McDowell as a substitute in food service;
* Approved the employment of Lindsay Dover as a substitute in food service.